7 Interesting facts about menstruation
Think you know your body well? Think again. There is still much we don’t know about menstruation. Here are some interesting facts that will improve your knowledge and awareness. Some of them will probably even give you an answer to several of the most frequently asked questions about menstruation.
- Women are less attractive to men during their periods. Male testosterone levels are directly influenced by women’s scent, which changes during menstrual cycle. Experiments show that men’s testosterone rises significantly when a woman is ovulating, i.e. at the pick of her fertility. This hypothesis was supported by a study, which showed that strippers made twice as much in their tips during ovulatory phase than when they were on their period.
- Women are more stupid during their period. A study conducted by psychologists of the University of Bath, involving 52 women, who were asked to perform computer-based tasks, showed that menstrual cramps and discomfort reduced women’s cognitive function and attention span, making them perform worse on tests.
- Being on your period makes you hornier. Progesterone, which is thought to lower libido in women, is at its lowest when menstruating. Therefore women may crave for sex more during this phase.
- Periods turn women into shopaholics. University of Hertfordshire surveyed 500 women about their spending habits in relation to their menstrual cycles. Two thirds of them admitted that they’d bought something impulsively when being in the later stages of the menstrual cycle. Scientists explain that retail therapy helps women to deal with PMS.
- Periods become brutal during colder months. Pain, menstrual bleeding and its duration is longer and more intense during colder months than in summer. Irregular or missed periods during winter season can also be due to seasonal sickness or illness, such as common cold or flu. The body cannot handle a pregnancy when it is not well, therefore period can be delayed or stopped altogether. Ovulation is resumed when the body feels you are healthy again.
- Menstruation affects the way your voice sounds. Cells from the larynx and vagina have similar hormone receptors. Women’s tone while menstruation is subtly more menacing than usual. A research shows that men can even guess when a woman is on her period by the sound of her voice.
- Women who live together may synchronize their cycles. Many women claim that they often wind up having their periods at about the same time as their close friends or relatives with whom they chum together. This theory still needs a scientific ground though.
Ok-Pharmacy.com does not offer doctor's professional advice. See additional information.