Generic Ampicillin 250 mg
This is a drug used to treat bacterial infections caused by a number of bacteria including E. coli, P. mirabilis, Shigella, enterococci, Salmonella, N. gonorhoeae, O. Meningitides, Gram-positive streptococci, staphylococci, and others, by inhibiting their ability to create cell walls.
Generic Ampicillin 500 mg
This relatively non-toxic antibiotic of penicillins is used in the treatment of urinogenital, middle ear bacterial infections, salmonellosis and meningitis caused by susceptible microorganisms.
What is Ampicillin?
Ampicillin is a part of a group of β-Lactam antibiotics. It is mainly used as a treatment for bacterial infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria. Ampicillin functions by irreversibly inhibiting a transpeptidase enzyme, which hinders the ability of bacteria to create cell walls.
What are the indications for using Ampicillin?
- Infections of the Genitourinary Tract: E. coli, P. mirabilis, Shigella, enterococci, Salmonella, and N. gonorhoeae (that does not produce penicillinase).
- Infections of the Respiratory Tract: staphylococci and H. influenzae (Nonpenicillinase-producing), and streptococcus pneumonia and other streptococci.
- Infections of the Gastrointestinal Tract: S. typhosa and other Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli, enterococci, and P. mirabilis.
- Meningitis: O. Meningitides.
What is the dosage of Ampicillin?
Children and adults that weigh more than 20 kg:
- For infections of gastrointestinal and genitourinary tract (excluding gonorrhea), the dosage is 500 mg 4 times per day; patients with chronic or severe infections might need a higher dosage.
- Treatment of gonorrhea calls for a single oral administration of 3500 mg of ampicillin together with 1000 mg of probenecid.
Children that weigh less than 20 kg:
- The usual dosage for any gastrointestinal or genitourinary tract infection is 100 mg/kg/day total, taken 4 times per day.
- Ampicillin does not degrade under the influence of gastric acid, though it should be taken about half an hour before or 2 hours after a meal to ensure maximum absorption.
- After all the symptoms of the disease disappear, the therapy should be continued for at least 2 more days.
What are the contraindications for using Ampicillin?
- Hypersensitivity to Ampicillin
- Also, it should not be used against penicillinase-producing bacteria
What are the adverse effects of Ampicillin?
The following adverse effect where reported by patients that took Ampicillin:
- Gasrointestinal: diarrhea, enterocolitis, pseudomembranous colitis, vomiting, nausea, stomatitis, glositis. The following reactions were noted when this drug was administered orally.
- Hypersensitivity reactions: fairly frequently a maculopapular skin rash was reported (usually after a week of therapy).
- Other reactions included urticarial, pruritus, erythema multiforme, and rarely exfoliative dermatitis.
Where can I buy Ampicillin?
Ampicillin is a common medicine which can be bought in any pharmacy. However, it would be wise to opt for an online pharmacy, since all drugs sold there are considerably cheaper. It shouldn’t be even mentioned that quality of products in online pharmacies is just as good as in regular ones.
Ok-Pharmacy.com does not offer doctor's professional advice. See additional information.