Generic Calan 80mg
Calan is a medication for arrhythmia, hypertension, angina pectoris and cluster headaches treatment. It contains Verapramil, a calcium channel blocking agent that exerts vasodilative effect. The medication is available in tablet form with 80mg strength, typically taken 3 times a day. Tablets are administered orally at the same time every day during the whole period of treatment.
Generic Calan 120mg
Generic Calan 240mg
What is Calan?
Calan (Verapamil) is a modern drug used to treat chest pain, high blood pressure and the many conditions it causes. It belongs to a class of drugs called calcium channel blockers, whose function can be inferred from their name. These blockers disrupt the movement of calcium within the body, and this encourages a decrease in blood pressure. They also affect the heart rate and can even be used to normalize the heart’s rhythm. Calan was approved by the FDA in 1982 and has since become a top choice in its field, being marketed under different names all over the world.
What are the indications for using Calan?
Calan is commonly used to treat the following conditions:
- Hypertension – a chronic condition characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries. This pressure heavily burdens the heart and can lead to various diseases, aneurysms, and stroke.
- Angina pectoris – a chest pain connected with the heart muscle. It occurs when coronary arteries are blocked or spasm, and is often caused by coronary artery disease.
- Cardiac arrhythmia – an irregularity of the heartbeat. In most cases, the heart beats faster or slower than the norm, but this is not life-threatening, whereas more serious disturbances can lead to cardiac arrest.
- Cluster headache – a disorder characterized by severe headaches that are usually centered around one eye. They occur regularly and are often accompanied by other symptoms like congestion and swelling.
- Migraine – a chronic condition of prolonged headaches of moderate pain. These have several phases and can be triggered by a number of underlying health problems.
What is the dosage of Calan?
Calan comes in the form of tablets in increments of 80, 120 mg and 240 mg. The dose varies based on the condition being treated. For angina, it is from 80 to 120 mg three times a day, but anyone who experiences increased sensitivity to the drug should take it in increments of 40mg. For arrhythmias, the recommended dose is 240 – 320mg per day, and the dose is 240mg a day for hypertension.
What are the contraindications for using Calan?
Firstly, this drug should be avoided by anyone who is sensitive or allergic to it or its components. Secondly, it is not compatible for the treatment of ventricular dysfunction, hypotension, sick sinus syndrome, AV block, and atrial fibrillation.
What are the adverse effects of Calan?
Studies have found the following side effects in some patients taking Calan: dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, swelling, fatigue, and constipation.
Ok-Pharmacy.com does not offer doctor's professional advice. See additional information.