Generic Vytorin 10 mg
Vytorin 10 mg is a drug marketed as a cholesterol-lowering preparation. If combined with regular exercise and a low-fat diet, it can help lower the levels of "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides in blood and at the same time increase the level of "good" cholesterol. It affects the production of cholesterol by the liver and its absorption in the intestine. This drug is prescribed for the treatment of hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia.
What is Vytorin?Vytorin is an anti-cholesterol drug. It is used in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia and hyperlipidemia. In order to get the best results this medicine is administered together with a low-fat diet and a regular exercise program.
How does it work?Vytorin contains two main cholesterol-lowering ingredients - ezetimibe and simvastatin (which belongs to the class of medications known as "statins"). It works by reducing the levels of "bad" (or LDL) cholesterol and total cholesterol while increasing the level of "good" (or HDL) cholesterol. Ezetimibe works by reducing the absorption of dietary and biliary cholesterol in the intestine, whereas simvastatin blocks the cholesterol-producing enzyme in the liver and reduces the level of triglycerides in the blood stream. Reducing the levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides as well as raising the level of HDL cholesterol helps reduce the risk of heart diseases and prevents heart attacks and strokes.
How should Vytorin be taken?Take it exactly as it has been told by your doctor, never stop taking it or change the dose without seeing your doctor first. Vytorin should be taken once a day in the evening with or without food. Do not forget to exercise and follow your cholesterol-lowering diet while you are on this medication.
What are the side effects of this drug?The most common Vytorin side effects are as follows:
- upper respiratory infection;
- muscle pain;
- muscle problems like muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) and muscle weakness, pain and tenderness (myopathy);
- liver problems including pain in the upper belly, jaundice, dark urine, loss of appetite and feeling tired and weak.
Are there any contraindications to taking this medicine?Do not take this preparation if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- have any liver problems;
- are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- inhibitors of HIV protease;
- anti-fungal preparations like ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole and voriconazole;
- antibiotics like erythromycin, clarithromycin and telithromycin;
- certain inhibitors of hepatitis C virus protease.
Ok-Pharmacy.com does not offer doctor's professional advice. See additional information.